Summer bucket list Washington State 2018
It is barely spring and all I can think about is my summer agenda for climbing, hiking and backpacking. I am hoping to mostly stick around Washington state so thought I would share my ideal summer passion projects. Nothing beats a summer in my home state. Nothing.
In no particular order:
- Climb Mt Rainier twice. Either one of the Nisqually routes/or the Emmons Glacier route and the DC route (unfinished business from last summer)
- Backpack 90 miles on the Wonderland Trail circling Mt. Rainier. (Contingent upon winning the permit lottery for this!)
- Climb Mt. Olympus (and backpack the Hoh rainforest trail to blue glacier)
- Climb Mt. Baker
- Climb Mt. Shuksan
- Climb Sahale Peak
- Climb Mt. Hood
- Climb Dome Peak
- Climb Dragontail peak /Alpine route and a rock route (again, unfinished business due to bad weather)
- Backpack 4 days through the core zone of the enchantments (luckily a friend actually won the elusive permit lottery for this!)
- Backpack 4 to 5 days on either section J or section K of the Pacific Crest Trail
- Backpack 2 nights in either the North Cascades or the Olympic peninsula -solo.
- 1 week climbing in Squamish BC! (Okay, not Washington but close enough!)
Long-distance dreams of long-distance hikes-
Between house hunting, double work contracts, and an intense yearlong mountaineering course I will have to keep my long-distance backpacking dreams at bay this summer.. Still, it is always on my mind and I will gearing up for one before the end of 2018.The chosen destination is still unknown, but I have my eye on on the following:
- The Pacific Northwest Train: Over 1,000 miles of trail between Montana and Washington.
- Patagonia: The Patagonia Trail - The longest trail in South America
- Sweden: The Kings Trail. I learned about this trail while meeting a Swedish through-hiker on the Te Araroa. He really talked up the trail. Added bonus, Aurora Borealis sightings?! I'm in! Here is an article on the trail. http://www.naturetravels.co.uk/hiking-trekking-sweden-kings-trail-abisko-kebnekaise-stf8ts1.htm